Enjoyable historical fiction

16.4.11

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is the first book I've read by Philippa Gregory. Considering I've been reading a lot of (easy) YA fantasy fiction lately, it did take me a little more time than usual to really get into it. But once I had... I thoroughly enjoyed it.
At school I hated history... my teachers made it incredibly boring when it should have been entertaining and fascinating. This book, however, enlightened me on the history behind Henry VIII's two daughters, Mary and Elizabeth - something I'd only ever known about through the movies featuring Cate Blanchett (both aptly entitled Elizabeth).
Although the story was about a young girl who worked in the royal court as a fool, I was intrigued by everything that surrounded her. She is an appealing, likable, character, flawed like most of us but well rounded. There was just a little gore and a small amount of fighting, but on the most part, The Queen's Fool was about love and family feuds.
I think Philippa Gregory has a rare talent for historical writing and this certainly won't be the last book of hers that I read. However, my next book is more likely to be something much more light hearted and easy before I tackle another one of hers!



3 comments :

  1. Great review! Thank you for following my blog. I'm now following you (sound kinda stalkerish!) Loved your first chapter of your book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, Suzy! I don't read much historical fiction but this is appealing. Like you, I hated history in school but have come to love it as an adult. Thank you for stopping by my blog and for your delightful comments. I am looking forward to keeping up with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very honest, refreshing review. I think I'll skip this book, but am looking forward to you find a superb book, so that I can read it, too!

    ReplyDelete

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs