Monday Mortals: Dario Giardi

12.11.12

It's Monday again and today, as part of my Monday Mortals theme, I'm interviewing the Italian author Dario Giardi. 
Hi Dario! Can you tell us a little about your latest book. 
Adudan is my debut novel. It's an urban fantasy which I think is very innovative and special for the message it contains, but I'll leave you to judge for yourselves. The story comes to life during sleep and in the dreams of Marcel Guivarch, a Breton writer who is able to immerse himself in the memory of an ancestral past. In this land which lies between dreams and reality, the protagonist starts to become fully aware of his true identity and of his mission. Through the visions that a mysterious civilization manages to send him, he traces his life backwards until he discovers that he was Railen, a guardian chosen by princess Adudan, the only sovereign left to rule the planet Atlas after the death of her father. For Marcel, these visions are the first pieces of a story that traces its roots back into time.

What inspired you to write it? 
Everything comes in dreams. Adudan comes from my dream journeys. Many call them astral travel. The creative drive always starts with an image. I wake up I take notes on the images that my imagination has produced ... everything comes from them. If there is a strong emotion behind that image do not take it into account. In what I write, there is always a profound message I like to convey and I think that in this sense Adudan it conceals many. This is all my writing is something that goes beyond the pages.

Is it part of a series? 
No

If your latest book was made into a movie, who would you like to play the main characters? 
I love the movie "The Lake House" and its magical and dreamy atmosphere. The Lake House is about possibilities and impossibilities and the decisions we make on our way to finding the right person. Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock represent the perfect cast for a Adudan Film Adaptation.

What made you want to become an author? 
The childhood experiences influence the will to be a writer.

Name one of your all-time favourite book covers? 
Adudan;)

Name one book that made you think 'wow'? Why did it have such an effect on you? 
Twelve years ago I read an article in the Los Angeles Times in which America's most successful fiction writers were asked to name their top-ten favorite works of 20th Century American fiction. John Fante's "Ask the Dust" was the only title to appear on every author's top-ten list in that article. Since then, I've read "Ask the Dust" twice, as well as every other book by Mr. Fante.

Who, or what, inspires you? 
Imagination and life

Where is your favourite place to write?
Near the Sea

What is your favourite movie that was based on a book? 
The Lord of the rings

Who is your favourite author (s) and why? 
John Fante for his ability to catapult the player and hit mainly describing the emotions experienced or just think. Sudden strokes on the plot without necessarily explain all or dwell in a thousand descriptions ...

If you could have a dinner party with any authors from any time in history, who would you choose and why? 
John Fante, Ernest Hemingway and Jack London.

Tell us a random fact about yourself. 
I work as a researcher in the fields of environment and energy, although my true passion is writing.I have written the tourist guides Bretagna: natura, arte, poesia e mistero tra oceano e cielo and Roma: misteri ed itinerari insoliti, published by Polaris (www.polaris-ed.it/). Adudan is my debut Novel. I have decided to take a gamble with self-publishing on the Amazon platform. America is the land of opportunity. Self-publishing has made many dreams come true. I'm sure it's a positive sign of changing times and of the direct power that new technologies give readers, bypassing the old, traditional publishing system to give a voice to what for me is the only criterion for publishing success: the public.

Tell us something interesting about the area where you live. 
I live in a small city in the Etruscan countryside. 30 miles near Rome.

My site www.dariogiardi.com
Blog: http://dariogiardi.blogspot.com
Adudan facebook fan page: www.facebook.com/adudan2012
@darigoiardi (twitter)
Here is the booktrailer entirely produced by the author in collaboration with young artist Cecilia Luce.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs