#AtoZChallenge: Y is for Yorkshire

29.4.13

Yorkshire, the county of my birth where I lived until I was ten years old. That was back in 1986 when I was whisked away from friends and family to live in a country I'd never even heard of up until the year before when we'd gone on holiday there. Portugal. It seemed so far away from everything.
I missed Yorkshire terribly... for a few months anyway. And then I settled into my new life, met new friends and slowly Yorkshire became a distant memory. I remember playing in Clifton Park in Rotherham  with my oldest pal, Emma. We used to play in the Weeping Willows by the entrance to the museum. Other days we would don our rollerskates and skate through the park or down to the local chippy and eat chips out of newspaper outside. Sigh. Those were the days.
I went back a couple of years ago and could hardly believe how much it has changed. I hardly recognised the street where I used to live. But then we meandered over to Clifton Park and I nearly wept (!) when I saw the Weeping Willows were still there. I was so excited, I had to take a photo (this was before the haircut and weight loss!).
Quite a few years ago, I wrote a poem about this and made a video of it (cheesy I know):

Since moving to Portugal and holidaying in England, I've still never seen much more of Yorkshire, yet it's supposed to be such a beautiful county with rolling Moors and so much history.  I hope to remedy that when I move back, although we're not moving to Yorkshire, we won't be too far away.
Have you ever been? What did you think of this lovely part of the world?

Don't forget to download your FREE copy of Raven. There are two more books in The Raven Saga: December Moon and The Lost Soul. You can also get a FREE copy of Daisy Madigan's Paradise, a Morgan Sisters novella. The sequel to Daisy Madigan's Paradise is also available: The Ghost of Josiah Grimshaw.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs