Interview with YA author Julie Daines

4.6.13

I 'met' Julie Daines after she sent me her book trailer for the YA Trailer Park. I was so blown away by it that I had to get in touch. Scroll down for the trailer - it's totally awesome!

Hi Julie! Can you tell us a little about your latest book?
A Blind Eye: When Christian Morris finds a blind girl hiding in his car, his attempt to run away turns into a race to save her from death by scientific experimentation. A fast paced romantic suspense with just a touch of supernatural.

What inspired you to write it?
I wanted to explore the different kinds of blindness that people suffer. Some people are born blind. For some, a tragedy leaves them blind. And then there are those who simply refuse to see. This story explores all three types of blindness in the three main characters.

Is it part of a series? 
This is a stand alone book. Although many readers have asked for a sequel...so we'll see. :)

If your latest book was made into a movie, who would you like to play the main characters?
Well, I'd love to have Mason Mac--the guy who played Christian in the book trailer. He's a talented actor and he had the perfect, good looking, guy-next-door look I was going for with Christian.

What made you want to become an author?
I believe that through books, we discover more about ourselves and the kind of people we want to be. But we discover those things in a subtle way as we embark on adventures and sorrows and life lessons vicariously through the characters in stories. I wanted to write books that take readers on a journey such that when they read the last page they are not the same person as when they read the first.

Can you tell us a little background about the making of your awesome cinematic book trailer?
Making the book trailer was possibly the coolest experience of my life. I got to direct real actors and work with a real producer and it was amazing. My nephew is a director of photography for some big time film companies, and he is responsible for the beautiful cinematic filming throughout. It was like being on a Hollywood set for two days. I could go on forever about the making of the trailer--so if you want to read more about that, see my blog.A
And the trailer is absolutely phenomenal. Check it out below:

Name one of your all-time favourite book covers?

That's a hard question. Even though I write YA, I'm not a huge fan of most YA covers. I don't generally love covers with photos of people on them. I like that left up to my imagination. I prefer covers with symbols or an object or something. Some examples: The Hunger Games, The Princess Academy (1st edition), and I love my own cover.

Name one book that made you think 'wow'? Why did it have such an effect on you?
I just finished reading The Road, and WOW! That book is amazing--beautiful and horrific all at once. Cormac McCarthy has set a new high standard for writing.

Who, or what, inspires you?
I have a lot of YA children and nieces and nephews. They are a veritable feeding trough for character ideas.

Where is your favourite place to write?
I love my writing office. I have my own nook in my bedroom with a big Ikea desk, surrounded by bookshelves, and a window that looks out over my quiet neighborhood. I do most of my writing there. Although I also love writing at the cabin.

What is your favourite movie that was based on a book?
Another hard question. I'm not good at picking favorites! I guess I'm going to have to go all geeky and pick the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I even went to New Zealand and visited tons of locations where the movie was filmed.

Who is your favourite author (s) and why?
The book Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt changed my life. I took a week-long intensive workshop taught by Martine and learned so much about writing. That book and Shannon Hale's Book of a Thousand Days are my go-to books when I need a kick in the pants to step up my writing.

If you could have a dinner party with any authors from any time in history, who would you choose and why?
Definitely Shakespeare because I have so many questions for him about the fact and fiction surrounding his works. Jane Austen of course, and I'd probably throw in one of the Bronte sisters. And how cool would it be to spend time with C.S. Lewis? Then I'd throw in someone weird like Shirley Jackson just to stir things up.

Tell us a random fact about yourself.
I love skulls. Not evil skulls or sparkly skulls, but piratey skulls. They are my trademark symbol--if there is such a thing.
I love skulls too! Although I'm forever searching for the perfect t-shirt with a cool sparkly skull on it. That's the girlie-girl coming out lol

Tell us something interesting about the area where you live.
I live in a town called Highland, so named because the first guy to settle here was from Scotland, and the rocky, barren, mountainous terrain reminded him of the Scottish Highlands. We have one grocery store, one gas station, lots of fast-food restaurants, a pint-sized library, and a Roxberry. (Like a Jamba Juice)

Thanks for stopping by, Julie. It's been a pleasure having you here :D
For more information about Julie, visit her below:

3 comments :

  1. Thanks for this! Your blog is really cool! And your books look awesome! I'm definitely going to have to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!

    That book trailer is jaw-dropping! I kept wondering when the movie was going to be released...and then I remembered it was a book trailer! What an amazing experience for Julie to write, and then "see" her book in action through cinema. Kudos to Julie and her nephew. The filming was gorgeous and the story sounds unique and intriguing.

    I believe a book has been sold!

    Wonderful interview, Suzy! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a pleasure Julie! It was fabulous having you here.

    Heather... I know, right? Seriously WOW!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs