Q&A with author Aimee Friedmann

18.6.11

A very warm welcome to Sea Change author Aimee Friedmann...


Have you ever read a book that made you think 'wow'? If so, what book was it and why did it have such an effect on you?
So many books 'wow' me that it would take up a whole OTHER book to list them all! I recently finished THE HELP by Kathryn Stockett, which I loved--it's gorgeously written, compulsively readable, gutsy, and wise. In terms of kidlit, a book that threw me for a loop a couple of years ago was WHEN YOU REACH ME by Rebecca Stead, which is one of those magically complex, how'd-she-do-that? books that is at once totally intimidating and wonderfully inspiring.

Who is your favourite author and why?
I love pretty much anything Michael Chabon writes--his language is always so rich, and his worlds so intricate yet heartfelt. I'm also a big Ann M. Martin fan--the BABY-SITTERS CLUB books shaped me when I was growing up, as both a young woman and a young writer.

Who, or what, inspires you?
Movies, bookstores, a good meal, author readings, brisk walks through Central Park, plays, coffee, my family's stories.

Where is your favourite place to write?
In a little European-style cafe about 10 blocks from my apartment. The seats are comfy, the music is never too loud, their iced coffees are refreshing, and they have Crumbs cupcakes. Need I say more?

What is your book about?
My most recent novel is SEA CHANGE, a summer love story set on a mysterious island off the coast of Georgia. On this island, we meet Miranda, a level-headed girl who's just visiting for a while, and Leo, the gorgeous local boy who sweeps her off her feet...and may be hiding a magical secret.

What is your favourite film that was based on a book?
THE PRINCESS BRIDE! An endlessly quotable movie...and also a great read.

If your book was made into a film, who would you like to play the main characters?

Someone recently told me that Hunter Parrish or Lucas Till would make a great Leo I absolutely agree. Miranda might be a little tougher to cast--would love to know if readers have any suggestions!

Tell us a random fact about yourself.
I have a mild addiction to Gummi-Bears, particularly the Bissinger brand (Pomegranate White Tea is the best!). I go through bags of them like crazy, ESPECIALLY when writing!

Tell us something interesting about the area where you live.
I live a short walk from the Metropolitan Museum of Art, which is a great destination in New York City. In the summer, they open up the museum's roof, where they'll have sculptures on display and serve frosty drinks and ice cream. I love to go up there on a warm afternoon with friends and watch the sunset.

Thanks, Aimee! Wonderful interview... I'm very envious of being able to pop down to Central park whenever you want to!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs