P is for Pranayama #AtoZChallenge

18.4.15

This year my A to Z Challenge is all about wellbeing - something I'm particularly passionate about. Whether it's physical, emotional, mental, spiritual or even the wellbeing of my business, I'm passionate about it! Today it's all about Pranayama :D


Peaceful And Meditation yoga pose by Stuart Miles at www.FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Pranayama. Prana literally means the life force (the breath) and Yama means to lengthen or regulate. So in yoga, when we practise pranayama, we are breathing in a controlled manner in order to maximise our wellbeing. There are many different ways of practicing pranayama, one of which is Kapalabhati which consists of rapid, forced exhales followed by passive inhales. Another is Nadi Shodan (alternate nostril breathing). Read the Art of Living's post about this awesome technique.
Both take a little getting used to, but once you've mastered them, they will really help calm you down (especially if you're feeling anxious or unwell).

Namaste

2 comments :

  1. Oh man, I think I need a pronunciation guide for your A to Z! I got pranayama, but kapalabhati sounds weird no matter how I say it (maybe because I'm saying it in my head because I'm reading?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Heather you made me chuckle! You should hear some of the other names! It's taking me a long time to get my head around those lol! Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs