Q&A with publisher Sara-Jayne Slack

6.7.11

A very warm welcome to publisher Sara-Jayne Slack...


Have you ever read a book that made you think 'wow'? If so, what book was it and why did it have such an effect on you?
Oh, that's a tough one! There have been a few books that have elicited that response from me. The two which spring to mind are Virginia Woolf's Mrs Dalloway, and Arthur Plotnik's Elements of Editing. I loved the style and flow of Mrs Dalloway, and some of the images the book conjours up have actually made me put the book down for a while to consider them. The Editing book (a non-fiction piece) was written with the perfect mixture of wit and truth that I could barely put it down. He really hits the nail on the head with what he says.

Who is your favourite author and why?
My favourite author is probably Virginia Woolf, although (yet again) I have so many 'favourites', and all for different reasons! I'm also a huge fan of Anne McCaffrey, to the extent that I collect first editions of her books. As much as I favour Woolf's writing style, McCaffrey is the author who has been the most influential in my life.
Who, or what, inspires you?
I tend to find people and actions more inspirational than words or a nice view. My family are hugely important in pushing me to actually get things done, as are my university lecturers, who are so passionate about their subjects that it's positively catching. I also find that inspiration to do well is self-perpetuating. When I can sit back and think that I've done or written something worthwhile, I have a distinct urge to immediately go onto the next task.

Where is your favourite place to write (whether books, blogs, letters, etc)?
Definitely my University library. It's a great environment with little to no distractions, so I find my writing is much more efficient when I'm there.

Tell us a little about your favourite book...
Ahh! You're not making this easy for me, are you? As I mentioned earlier, I have many 'favourites', and all for different reasons, I'm afraid. My favourite books tend to be fast paced, with a focus more on the protagonist moving the plot forward, rather than a more detailed plot which drags a two-dimentional character kicking and screaming.

What is your favourite film that was based on a book?
Now this is a guilty pleasure...but it has to be The Devil Wears Prada. I bought it on DVD a few months ago and watched it 4 times in 3 days. the script is witty and the actors are just amazing (although it helps that Meryl Streep is one of my all-time favourite actresses).

Why did you decide to become publisher?
Instead of a niche, I saw that there was a rather large, gaping hole in the industry for a skills-development based publishing house. Inspireed Quill is also different in that we're not a LTD (LLC) company. Instead, we're a 'Social Enterprise', which means we're a not-for-profit organisation who is determined to reach out into the community and help develop literature based skills. I guess it also helps that I have a passion not only for books, but also the written word in its broadest sense.

Tell us a random fact about yourself.
I'm named after a well known Dr. Who character (albeit with a different spelling).

Tell us something interesting about the area where you live.
Derby was also home to Florence Nightingale and Joseph Wright.

Thank you for the interview, it was a lot of fun! :)
Anytime, Sara Jayne. It was an absolute pleasure.

Website: http://www.inspired-quill.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/InspiredQuill
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/InspiredQuill

1 comment :

  1. Nice interview, Suzy and Sarah-Jayne. Inspired Quill sounds great.

    ReplyDelete

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs