Q&A with author Scarlett Bailey

21.11.11



Name one book that made you think 'wow'? Why did it have such an effect on you?
Its not a very well known book, but there is a book called The Rose Grower written by Michelle de Krestser that I read a few years ago. It's about post revolutionary France, in the time of The Terror. When I finished it I kissed it, that's how much I loved it. Wonderfully evocative and well written, with a shocking ending that made me cry for days. I don't think I've ever kissed any other book....

Who is your favourite author and why?
I'll stick to contemporary writers and say that I am a huge, HUGE fan of Marion Keyes. She is the master (the mistress?) at balancing humour, romance, reality and darkness with believable characters you care about. I am so pleased that she will have a new book out next years. Hurrah!

Name one of your all-time favourite book covers? 

Is it wrong to say that I LOVE my own cover for the Night Before Christmas, its black and pink and sparkly? It is wrong, okay...um well the the cover for 'Gone with the Wind' the one with Rhett and Scarlett in a clinch on the cover. Classic.
No, Scarlett, it's not wrong, especially considering how GORGEOUS your cover is!

If you could have a dinner party with any authors from any time in history, who would you choose and why?
Oh, oh, oh. All the Brontes. I am so fascinated with how these little dour yorkshire ladies came up with some of the most imaginative, innovative and exciting fiction in history. Shakespeare, because I'm pretty sure he'd be a terrible flirt, the Poet John Donne, he wrote some of the most sexy poetry ever, lovely, lovely Trisha Ashley, the nicest writer in the world and Charles Dickens who I hear loves to party.

Who, or what, inspires you?
General over excitement about everything, I just love writing, telling stories, hearing stories, writing stories, making stuff up. Its the best fun a girl could hope for.

Where is your favourite place to write?
At my desk, really. I have a nice painting on the wall which I like to look and a fairly serviceable view out of the window which keeps me going when I get a bit stuck.

Check out The Night Before Christmas book trailer:

For more information about Scarlett and her book, Night Before Christmas, visit 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs