YA Indie Carnival: Book(s) I'm grateful for

13.1.12

It's another new year (where is the time going??) and more exciting times for us Indie Authors. I just love being a writer and one of the things I particularly love is being a part of the YA Indie Carnival, where I have gotten to meet some truly awesome fellow indies. But enough of that... like I said, its a new year and we've got some fab new subjects to write about.
Today we're talking about the books we're grateful for. Well, I'm grateful for ALL books to be honest, but that would make for a rather long post so I have to choose just one that has helped me along the way.
Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale is one which had a powerful effect on me when I first read it during college while I was studying for my A Levels. After reading so many classics like Pride & Prejudice and Jane Eyre, it was a breath of fresh air to read something modern, for a start. But the whole premise of the book just shook me, you know? It strengthened my fondness for Dystopian reads, but it also inspired me.
If you haven't read this book, here is the description from Amazon for you:
In the world of the near future, who will control women's bodies?
Offred is a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead. She may leave the home of the Commander and his wife once a day to walk to food markets whose signs are now pictures instead of words because women are no longer allowed to read. She must lie on her back once a month and pray that the Commander makes her pregnant, because in an age of declining births, Offred and the other Handmaids are only valued if their ovaries are viable.
Offred can remember the days before, when she lived and made love with her husband Luke; when she played with and protected her daughter; when she had a job, money of her own, and access to knowledge. But all of that is gone now....
Funny, unexpected, horrifying, and altogether convincing, The Handmaid's Tale is at once scathing satire, dire warning, and tour de force.

Click here for more Indie News:


To find out more books that have effected us, check out my fellow Carnis:
1. Laura A. H. Elliott author of Winnemucca & 13 on Halloween, Book 1 in the Teen Halloween Series
2. Bryna Butler, author Midnight Guardian series
3. Heather Self

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs