REVIEW: Outside by Shalini Boland

1.3.12

*****
Over a year ago I had the privilege of reading what has now become one of my all-time favourite YA vampire books. The book was called Hidden and it was written by fellow indie author, Shalini Boland.
Since then, I have been eagerly awaiting her to release more. Imagine my delight, therefore, when I noticed she'd released a book entitled Outside. Initially I thought it was the long awaited sequel to Hidden. I was completely wrong about that, of course, but it didn't matter. I soon discovered that Outside was not about vampires or the supernatural, but about a dystopian society in south western England. I was hooked. Ever since childhood when I read a book called Z for Zachariah, I've loved dystopian novels, post apocalyptic novels, anything set in a world gone wrong.
Outside is exactly the kind of story I love, about a young couple who embark on a journey through potential terrifying locations to try and avenge something horrifying that happens in the beginning of the book. I'm not saying any more because I'd hate to give anything away. What I will say, though, is that Outside is simply brilliant. Shalini's writing just flows beautifully and I can't wait to read more from her. I wonder if Outside is the first in a series too? I hope so... I can certainly see the potential for many more!
But I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I need to be patient!
All in all, a fabulous read.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs