Monday Mortals: Melissa Pearl

5.11.12

Monday Mortals is my brand new theme for interviews, guest posts and anything to do with other people, whether they're authors, designers, singers, etc! Today I have the pleasure to be interviewing the awesome YA author Melissa Pearl who releases her brand new novel, today!!
Hey Melissa! Can you tell us a little about your latest book.
My latest book, Betwixt (YA Paranormal) released on Nov 5th. I have had this story in my head for a very long time, so it's great to finally be able to share it with the world :)
Betwixt is the story of a very popular, wild-child, Nicole, who gets hit by a car and left for dead. It doesn't take her long to figure out that she is actually caught between life and death and as her spirit floats around town trying to find someone who can hear her, she starts to find out what her friends really think about her. Ironically the only person who can hear her is the guy she publicly humiliated at school, Dale Finnigan.
Desperate, she has no choice but to haunt Dale and convince him to find her before the person who hit her with their car comes to finish off the job. 
WOW, Melissa that sounds awesome!

What inspired you to write it?
I saw a movie called, Invisible, and loved the premise, but was disappointed with the execution. I couldn't stop thinking about it though and a story of my own was born. Over the years it developed into something completely new and different from the movie. I fell in love with the two main characters and just had to start writing it.

Is it part of a series?
No - this is my first stand alone novel. It's been quite nice just writing a one-off :)

If Betwixt was made into a movie, who would you like to play the main characters?
Photo credit: Gage Skidmore via photopin cc
Photo credit: canmark via photopin cc
I always find this question hard, because sometimes you can't think of an actor that truly encapsulates the characters in your head, but the closest I've found is Mila Kunis (above) for Nicole and Penn Badgley (above) for Dale.

What made you want to become an author?
My friend told me to, actually. I have always had stories floating around in my brain and one day my best friend asked me to write one down so that she could read it. I started and fell in love with writing.

Name one of your all-time favourite book covers?
Oooo - that's a tough one. I LOVE book covers!! I have a few that pop into my head straight away though - The Iron Witch (left) by Karen Mahoney. There's something so stunning about it... and I also love the covers for the Halo series by Alexandra Adornetto. And as I'm typing this more and more covers are coming to mind, so I'll stop there :)

Name one book that made you think 'wow'? Why did it have such an effect on you?
The Mark of the Lion Series by Francine Rivers was like that for me. I have read them multiple times now, and every time I am touched by the growth and stories of the characters. You know those books you read that make you want to be a better person because one of the characters is so inspiring? Well - those three books are like that for me :)

Who, or what, inspires you?
I get inspired by so many different things - songs, movies, concepts - I love asking myself a "what if" question and answering it by writing a book. Anything that makes me want to laugh, cry and fall in love is inspirational to me. I am also a Christian and I find my maker extremely inspiring :)

Where is your favourite place to write?
I do most of my writing at my desk, which is currently in our living room. Not the best set up, but the only place it will fit. I have poems, verses, story ideas and pictures plastered up all over the walls around my desk and I love glancing up at them as I work.

What is your favourite movie that was based on a book?
Again - there are so many. Um - the first two that pop into my head are The Notebook and Shawshank Redemption (this was based on a novella by Stephen King called Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption).

Who is your favourite author (s) and why?
I have a few different authors for a few different reasons - Francine Rivers, because she makes me think about my life, Dee Henderson because her books are impossible to put down and Simone Elkeles, because she writes teenage love in a very raw and real way.

If you could have a dinner party with any authors from any time in history, who would you choose and why?
Good question!!
EE Cummings - because his poem, I Carry Your Heart With Me is so incredibly beautiful and I want to ask him about it
Robert Frost - because I love his poetry
Francine Rivers - because I'd love to get inside her head and find out how she comes up with such amazing, inspirational stuff
John the apostle - he wrote a few books in the bible. He hung out with Jesus and I'd love to hear what that was like.
Stephen King - because I think he is a very talented man and I could learn so much from him

Tell us a random fact about yourself.
I love nutella. Seriously love it. It's scary. I could finish a jar in a night, I'm sure... and then add marshmallows into the mix... bliss!!!
LOL... Melissa you do make me laugh!!

Tell us something interesting about the area where you live.
I live in Suzhou Industrial Park, which is in China. I've only been hear 12 weeks so it's still very new. Probably something that is super interesting and that I would never see back home is the amount of stuff they can fit onto an e-bike (battery powered bicycle) I've seen everything from a queen sized mattress to a chest of drawers!!)
China? WOW!!

Find Melissa...

2 comments :

  1. Thank you so much for having me on your gorgeous blog. I feel very lucky to visit and answer such great questions :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was an absolute pleasure, Melissa! You're welcome here anytime :) x

    ReplyDelete

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs