Julie & Julia: what a lovely film

28.2.12

Who doesn't love a good movie? Or a great piece of television?
The other night I watched a movie that I'd never really taken much notice of when it first came out. It was about that famous cook, Julia Child. I mean, if I'm completely honest, I'd never even heard of the woman. But then, I'm not one who enjoys spending too much time in the kitchen, if you know what I mean. Basically, I'm not really the best cook in the world. I can cook, don't get me wrong, but I'd rather be doing something else given half the chance. Another reason why I love my dear other half... he's a fabulous cook and he thoroughly enjoys it too.
So, back to the movie. It was called Julie & Julia, based on two true stories, starring Meryl Streep as Julia Child and Amy Adams as blogger Julie Powell who challenges herself to cook all of the recipes from Child's first cook book in a year. I was absolutely captivated by the performances of these two actresses and couldn't take my eyes off the screen. It was one of those incredible feel good movies, the sort that you could watch over and over, you know?
It's got some lovely, heartwarming scenes and some that left me in fits of giggles (the one with the lobster, for example).
Julia Child comes across as having been a real oddball character. She was gutsy, you know. And Julie Powell just comes across as absolutely adorable.
Oh and I mustn't forget the wonderful Stanley Tucci... he's one hell of an actor that guy and I don't think he gets the recognition he deserves.
Since watching the film, the Oscars have taken place and Meryl won the coveted Academy award for her role as Margaret Thatcher in The Iron Lady. She really is amazing, that woman.

2 comments :

  1. I completely agree (It was the movie that made me rethink the way I blogged).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does have that effect on you, doesn't it? I'm not sure what I can do though... I'm certainly not prepared to cook several new recipes a day for the next year! My idea of a nightmare really!
    Thanks for commenting, David.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs