B is for Back problems #AtoZChallenge

2.4.15

My A to Z Challenge this year all about wellbeing - something I'm particularly passionate about. Whether it's physical, emotional, mental, spiritual or even the wellbeing of my business, I'm passionate about it! Today it's all about Back problems URGH :D

Forward Bend - photo credit: via photopin (license)
Along with millions of others, I've suffered with back pain pretty much all my adult life, which is a total bummer. When it first started, I visited a doctor who told me I was stressed and prescribed me some natural pills. I took the pills for a few days and then decided I wasn't stressed (I'm not a stressy-person by any means) so I visited another doctor who sent me off for an x-ray. He told me I had sciatica. I think (it was years ago) he prescribed me some pain-killers and sent me home. Neither of them solved the problem.
I suffered for years afterwards, just putting up with those horrible aches and pains that run from the lower back all the way down the backs of the legs. And mornings...urgh, were the worst. I could barely lean forward to put my socks on!
When I was finally ready to accept that the pain could be helped naturally, I started seeing a chiropractor who manipulated my spine, which certainly helped the sciatica but not the underlying problem.
When he left for adventures in the Far East, I decided to try yoga instead. The yoga has since worked wonders. Yes I do still suffer with lower back ache but whenever it flares up, I know what asanas (yoga poses) to do to ease the pain - it's amazing!
It's the forward bends - both standing and sitting - that work the best for me. If you suffer with back pain, I highly recommend you try them out, but be gentle.

3 comments :

  1. A strong back is so important, but it seems to be only when it bothers me that I notice it at all! My husband recently strained his back, and rather than just rest up, he's keen to do light exercise (like yoga). Here's to a pain-free back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in the retirement horizon years... as of yet- blessed with no pains. I walk a lot... I have yet to try yoga. Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel for your husband, Heather. I hope the light exercise help him to get back to normal!
    Roger, you are very lucky indeed! I must take a leaf out of your book and do more walking :)
    Thanks for stopping by, folks!
    Namaste

    ReplyDelete

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs